- Current resident of Clayton, NC
- Native of Craven County, NC. Upon retirement in Dec 2006, returned to Clayton from Washington, DC
- Graduate NYCCC 1977 Associate — Social Work
- Attended Brooklyn College, University of Maryland and NCSU (Pursuing BS degree-Sociology)
- Volunteer counselor with the “Take Charge of Your Life ” Program — working with young men in the criminal justice system – ages 12 -21 yrs.
- Youth counselor & coordinator – NAACP
- Member Johnston Piney Grove Missionary Baptist Church
- US Army Veteran, Chaplain – American Legion Post 71A
- Member & former officer -Grand Lodge,- Washington, DC
- Member – Juvenile Crime Prevention Council of Johnston County
Tom RicksVice President Serve The Need in Johnston County
Tom was born on June 6, 1939 in Durham, NC. He graduated from Durham High School in 1957. He graduated from UNC with a BS degree in General Business with emphasis on Marketing, Finance and Personnel.
He spent most of his career in Financial Accounting. He worked with his wife, Lois Stephenson, in childcare; the business was named Building Blocks Child Care.
Both he and his wife are members of Horne Memorial United Methodist Church in Clayton, NC where he began his community service with the mission outreach programs both locally and internationally.
From 2011 through 2016, Tom started coordinating the Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hunger Now) meal packaging events with other local churches and the Clayton Rotary Club resulting in $131,092 raised and 515,756 meals packaged in those five years.
In 2013, he received the Rotary Community Service Award from the Clayton Rotary Club and he received the Frances Hobart Community Service Award presented by the NC Community Foundation that same year.
He has been a member of Serve The Need in Johnston County for 6 years and currently serves as Vice President where he is responsible for cash flow analysis and budgeting. As head of the Fundraising committee, he collaborates with committee members to ensure a variety of activities that the members of Serve The Need will be excited about attending, thus raising funds for the organization. He also is involved with grant writing development along with pick-up and delivery of food from grocery stores and delivers them to local food banks and pantries in the Clayton community. He works very close with the President, Royal Williams, on planning and committee development for maximum results for Serve The Need in Johnston County.
• Served in the United States Air Force with Force Base, the Philippine Islands, and Clark Air Force Base; Completed a tour in Vietnam and Mississippi, Kessler Air Force Base.
• Worked for Bethlehem Steel Corporation, Bethlehem Pennsylvania and Sears, Allentown Pennsylvania
• Retired after 25 years from the Farm Service Agency, an Agency within the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) — Managed several offices in Pennsylvania and North Carolina
• Recipient of several awards for promoting and servicing the needs of farmers while at the Farm Service Agency of the USDA
• Recipient of Outstanding Performance Awards while at Sears.
• Served as Mentor for “At Risk” youngsters in the Clayton School System
• A US Air Force Veteran and active member of the American Legion Post 71 and the Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Chapter 44
• Active member of the Clayton Rotary Club
Resident of Clayton, NC
Born and raised in Fontana, California, I have been living in NC for 20 years.
I’m married to a wonderful man, Hector and we have 5 children: Austin, Hector, Jr., Ashley, Maya Grace and Celeste.
I Enjoy helping others ,meeting new people. I have a big heart in giving. I never met a stranger. I enjoy meeting new people of all walks in life. Everyone has a story to tell!! I see the good in people. I believe we can all make a difference, if we just try ……one person at a time.
Clubs I am a member of:
**Moms Club of Clayton
**Clayton Junior Women’s Club
**Serve the Need
I Volunteer with the following organizations: Clayton Area Ministries, One Compassion, House of Hope, Harbor House, Hispanic Community, I Choose Pregnancy Center, Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hungry Now).
Jerry DodsonOut-Going President
- Served on STN Board in various positions, 6+ yrs
- President, Wilson’s Mills Civitan Club
- Board Member, Johnston County CFAC , Consumer & Family Advisory Committee
- Volunteer, Community and Senior Services, Home Delivered Meals Program
- 22 years’ service in the NC National Guard, retired
- 2013 Recipient, CP Thompson Memorial Service & Leadership Award.
- Member, JC Society of Surveyors
- Member, Mental Health Association in JC
- Member, JC Citizens Association
- Member, National Assn. Mental Illness, NAMI
- Past Co-Chair, American Cancer Society-Relay for Life-Team 33
- Former Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity
- Small Business Owner, since 1993
- Native of North Carolina
Resident of Clayton, NC since 1999
Margaret GoodingMembership Committee
- Former contractor for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Services (EDS). As an Advanced Business Analyst, developing specifications to support new and enhanced system changes .
- Former contractor for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. Provided business and system specifications. Retired after ten plus years with Hewlett Packard Enterprise Services, as an Advanced Business Analyst.
- Retired after 25 plus years with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Former member of the Boston & Vicinity Club of The National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc.
- Recipient of several awards for distinguished service with the Boston & Vicinity Club
- Member of the MAAJECS INVESTMENT CLUB
Former President of the North Carolina Club of Boston
- Member of St. James FWB Church – Kinston, NC
Native of Kinston, North Carolina
Resident of Clayton, NC
- Retired City of Raleigh – Sr. Firefighter
- Hazardous Material EMT (certified)
- Part-time auxiliary police officer – NC State University
- Served on the Wilson’s Mills Planning Board since the Town was formed – former Chair
- Smithfield-Selma Chamber of Commerce Economic Development Board, Public Affairs Committee
- Smithfield-Selma Chamber of Commerce Public Affairs Committee
- Johnston County Board of Commissioners, 2006 “Citizen of the Year”
- President – Johnston County Citizens Assoc., Chartered in 1977 to champion community causes.
- Member of Rotary Club of Central JC
- Study Commission – Johnston County Schools
- Board of Directors – Smithfield Rescue Mission, Smithfield, NC
- Board of Directors – Community and Senior Services of Johnston County
- Appointed Member Representative for Johnston County – Triangle Area Agency on Aging, RTP, NC
Johnston Community College
- 2007 Strategic Planning Team, Johnston Community College
- Career and educational mentor to minority male students – recipient of ‘Member of the Year” Award
- JCC Community Outreach to HRD students at Johnston Correctional Institute
- Certified mentor – “Mentoring the 100 Way Curriculum”
- NC Bar Foundation Quasi-Judicial Proceedings
- NC Dept. of Commerce (Land Use Zoning Ordinances)
- NC Dept. of Crime Control & Public Safety – Hazard Mitigation Planning
- NC Central University Certified Mentor
- Centenary United Methodist Church, Smithfield, NC
Native of Johnston County, NC
Lifelong resident of Wilson’s Mills, NC
Sheila WilliamsMembership Committee
- BA Degree from University of Buffalo
- Many years’ experience as a successful businesswoman in sales management
- Active volunteer in local elections in Maryland and North Carolina
- Worked many years as an Account Manager for Grainger; Recipient of the President’s Club Award
Native of Niagara Falls, NY
Resident of Clayton since 2006
Melissa M. DooleyWebmaster
Melissa currently works as a Marketing Assistant at Divine Marketing Group in downtown Clayton as well as the Event Planner for the Town of Selma. She also is a Sunday School teacher at Horne Memorial UMC in Clayton.
Melissa was born in Pennsylvania and moved to Clayton in 2006 with her husband, George and two boys; Sean and Jared.
She loves to help with a good cause and is quoted as saying, “If I don’t have 100 things to do, it’s not worth getting out of bed.”
She is the current webmaster for Serve The Need, so if you have news about the organization, please forward to her.