Tom RicksPresident Serve The Need in Johnston County
Tom was born on June 6, 1939 in Durham, NC. He graduated from Durham High School in 1957. He graduated from UNC with a BS degree in General Business with emphasis on Marketing, Finance and Personnel.
He spent most of his career in Financial Accounting. He worked with his wife, Lois Stephenson, in childcare; the business was named Building Blocks Child Care.
Both he and his wife are members of Horne Memorial United Methodist Church in Clayton, NC where he began his community service with the mission outreach programs both locally and internationally.
From 2011 through 2016, Tom started coordinating the Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hunger Now) meal packaging events with other local churches and the Clayton Rotary Club resulting in $131,092 raised and 515,756 meals packaged in those five years.
In 2013, he received the Rotary Community Service Award from the Clayton Rotary Club and he received the Frances Hobart Community Service Award presented by the NC Community Foundation that same year.
He has been a member of Serve The Need in Johnston County for 6 years and currently serves as Vice President where he is responsible for cash flow analysis and budgeting. As head of the Fundraising committee, he collaborates with committee members to ensure a variety of activities that the members of Serve The Need will be excited about attending, thus raising funds for the organization. He also is involved with grant writing development along with pick-up and delivery of food from grocery stores and delivers them to local food banks and pantries in the Clayton community. He works very close with the President, Royal Williams, on planning and committee development for maximum results for Serve The Need in Johnston County.
• Served in the United States Air Force with Force Base, the Philippine Islands, and Clark Air Force Base; Completed a tour in Vietnam and Mississippi, Kessler Air Force Base.
• Worked for Bethlehem Steel Corporation, Bethlehem Pennsylvania and Sears, Allentown Pennsylvania
• Retired after 25 years from the Farm Service Agency, an Agency within the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) — Managed several offices in Pennsylvania and North Carolina
• Recipient of several awards for promoting and servicing the needs of farmers while at the Farm Service Agency of the USDA
• Recipient of Outstanding Performance Awards while at Sears.
• Served as Mentor for “At Risk” youngsters in the Clayton School System
• A US Air Force Veteran and active member of the American Legion Post 71 and the Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Chapter 44
• Active member of the Clayton Rotary Club
Resident of Clayton, NC
Margaret GoodingMembership Committee
- Former contractor for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Services (EDS). As an Advanced Business Analyst, developing specifications to support new and enhanced system changes .
- Former contractor for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. Provided business and system specifications. Retired after ten plus years with Hewlett Packard Enterprise Services, as an Advanced Business Analyst.
- Retired after 25 plus years with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
- Former member of the Boston & Vicinity Club of The National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc.
- Recipient of several awards for distinguished service with the Boston & Vicinity Club
- Member of the MAAJECS INVESTMENT CLUB
Former President of the North Carolina Club of Boston
- Member of St. James FWB Church – Kinston, NC
Native of Kinston, North Carolina
Resident of Clayton, NC
Sheila WilliamsMembership Committee
- BA Degree from University of Buffalo
- Many years’ experience as a successful businesswoman in sales management
- Active volunteer in local elections in Maryland and North Carolina
- Worked many years as an Account Manager for Grainger; Recipient of the President’s Club Award
Native of Niagara Falls, NY
Resident of Clayton since 2006
Melissa M. DooleyWebmaster
Melissa currently works as the Event Planner for the Town of Selma. She also is a Sunday School teacher at Horne Memorial UMC in Clayton.
Melissa was born in Pennsylvania and moved to Clayton in 2006 with her husband, George and two boys; Sean and Jared.
She loves to help with a good cause and is quoted as saying, “If I don’t have 100 things to do, it’s not worth getting out of bed.”
She is the current webmaster for Serve The Need, so if you have news about the organization, please forward to her.